MCNJ Imam Job Description
The Muslim Community of New Jersey centered in the heart of Woodbridge Township, serves the residents of Middlesex County and has over 300 families in a diversified community. Over 500 Muslims attend our weekly Jumma Salah.
In addition to conducting five times daily prayer and Jumma salah, we organize a variety of activities for Muslims and non-Muslims in the neighborhood. MCNJ also conducts a Sunday Islamic School and a weekday Quranic school. Other activities include adult halaqas and youth programs for boys and girls.
Currently, MCNJ is looking for a full time Imam who will serve as the spiritual and religious leader of the community and also play a crucial role in the weekend Islamic school.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a reputable accredited Islamic university; Masters a plus
- Knowledge of Islamic Fiqh, Shariah, Quran, Hadith, etc.
- Mastery of Tajweed rules and teaching of Quran
- Good understanding of other major religions and interfaith dialogue
- Excellent oratory skills with experience in khutba, lectures, public speaking, etc.
- Ability to raise funds a plus
- Fluent in English with a working knowledge of Arabic
- The ability to speak other languages a plus such as Urdu, Bengali, etc.
- Family/youth issues
- Couples/marriage issues
- Direct the religious activities of the masjid, including but not limited to leading salah on daily basis, Jumma khutba and salah, Eid salah, and Ramadan activities
- Establish regular Dars/education classes for youth and adults at various times such as after Fajr salah, on Friday and Wednesday evenings, etc.
- Develop and implement dawah program for adult and youth
- Work closely with the Administration of the weekend school and the school committee in selecting, updating, and maintaining the Islamic curriculum.
- Provide matrimonial services – including nikah, divorce counseling and service
- Conduct funeral services as needed
- Respond to inquiries and debates about Islamic matters and issues with support from Quran and Sunnah
- Develop and implement education programs for new Muslims
- Ensure that the religious material of the Masjid is properly maintained and safely secured
- Abide by the constitution and by-laws of MCNJ
- Maintain office hours at the masjid for members of the community to consult and seek assistance
- Imam shall conduct himself in ways that foster unity and sense of inclusion and harmony among all members of local Muslim community and promote broad participation in community activities
- Participate in MCNJ Shura meeting as needed
Generous financial package commensurate with qualifications, experience and personal attributes
For more information, please contact Br. Juned ([email protected])